Purpose of the Language Placement Test
Your results on this test will determine:
- whether you have sufficient proficiency to fulfill Elon’s language requirement for graduation based on previous experience with the language; and
- which course(s) is/are appropriate for you if wish or need to continue study in a given language.
Students are required to have on record with the university a score for an Elon-administered language placement exam.
Why a World Languages requirement?
The Elon Core Curriculum web page states: “Learning another language encourages engagement with other cultures and enhances one’s ability to participate meaningfully in local, national, and international settings. Advanced proficiency in a second language also deepens one’s understanding of multiple worldviews and historical perspectives. Elon’s language requirement represents the first step towards acquiring the level of proficiency that the Department of World Languages and Cultures provides. ” For additional information, see http://www.elon.edu/e-web/academics/generalstudies/foreignlanguage.xhtml
How to fulfill the requirement
To fulfill the World Languages graduation requirement, students must meet one of the following:
- Complete a language course numbered 122 or higher at Elon, or receive transfer or study abroad credit for the same;
- Place into a language course numbered 200 or above upon arriving at Elon, using a Department of World Languages and Cultures approved placement instrument;
- Score 4 or 5 on an AP language exam or similar exam.
Note: Completion of a 221-level course (or equivalent) is required for induction into Phi Beta Kappa.
Honor Code: When you begin this placement test, you are bound by the Elon Honor Code. You may receive no outside help of any kind (paper, electronic or personal): no online translators, no dictionaries, no textbooks, no class notes, no help from other people. Use of any outside source will result in an Honor Code violation. For further details regarding sanctions for Honor Code violations, see http://www.elon.edu/e-web/students/handbook/honor.xhtml
By clicking this link you agree that you have read all the above information.