October 12, 1999

Mr. Gerald O. Whittington

Vice President Business & Finance

Elon College

Campus Box 2285

Elon College NC 27244-2020

 

Re: Campus Master Plan

Minutes of Week Two On-campus Sessions

SFA #1196.05

1. Meeting with Gerald Whittington, 10/5/99

a. Presentation to trustees by Whittington & SFA:

Introduction by Whittington - Preliminary Planning Principles

Presentation by SFA (15 minutes maximum)

(1.) Impressions of campus since 1990

(2.) Description of issues: Technology Center, Graduate School space, Business School space, residential expansion, potential land acquisition, impact of the bypass, town-gown relationship, academic improvements, integration of Office of International Programs, campus support facilities

(3.) Developing concepts

(4.) Comments from the campus community

b. Parents were really impressed with proposed technology program. Parents gave less priority to proposed health services program.

c. Some projects may be conceived as joint venture or private projects rather than as strictly college projects, i.e., a campus inn / conference center.

d. Danieley Center will need to be expanded for 50-60 spaces in the near future.

e. Alternate locations for landscaping include a site north of Danieley Center in the woods or at the Winn-Dixie site. (SFA favors Winn-Dixie site.)

f. Conceptually, graduate schools should be integrated into undergraduate campus as faculty serves both.

2. Advisory Services (meeting with Lela Rich & Priscilla Hayworth)

a. Present space is inadequate. Program needs area for a reception/advising center with 2 secretaries, space for 10 seats and materials; 5 private offices: Elon 101, freshman registration, director, associate director, part-time advisors; workroom with work table and storage, student testing booths.

b. Strong relationship with registrar, bursar

c. Health Services Center should be near residence halls with parking.

d. The "Elon Connection" should be showcased: Advising, Career Center, Elon 101 programs. Quote: "We measure our success one student at a time." Advising and the Career Center should be together or closely related.

3. Physical Plant (meeting with Gerald Cameron)

a. Discussed annual list of prioritization / identification of 150-200 projects for next fiscal year.

b. Elon is exemplary in that there is practically no backlog in routine work orders.

c. Current budget allocates approximately $360,000 for projects.

d. Departments: custodial, landscaping, utilities, building maintenance (includes carpentry, painting, automotive, etc.)

e. Preference for locating physical plant with landscaping.

f. Major projects: Roofing including Moseley, replacement windows, air conditioning in older dorms, energy conservation and management.

g. Campus is now totally gas heat.

h. Need for energy conservation education.

i. Stock traditional trim for replacement windows can be provided by manufacturers such as Graham Architectural Windows (SFA)

4. Meeting with Students (lunch with Jim Gardner, SGA president and Mike, Katie, Mike & Liz)

a. Keen interest in town development ideas: drug / convenience store, bookstore, general store with soda fountain, barber shop, styling salon, antique shops, coffee shops.

b. Little complaint about existing facilities.

c. Described need for athletic training center, more parking at Danieley Center, more computer labs, more fitness space.

d. Concerned about adequate parking at new stadium.

e. Save all the older trees.

f. Build more residences like Danieley Center.

g. They will reschedule a meeting so that SGA can meet with SFA.

5. Meeting with Facilities Committee Members (who missed first meeting: Tom Green, psychology & Steve Braye, English)

a. Sociology & Psychology are located on upper floors of Alamance: enclose stairs, add elevator.

b. Psychology in need of better specialized facilities.

c. Carleton is occupied by humanities, move social sciences to new "academic village"?

d. SFA briefed them on progress to date. They were supportive, particularly with the concept of the low-scale academic village east of South campus.

6. Meeting with Steering Committee (Lambert, Francis, Whittington, SFA)

a. Reviewed minutes of week one.

b. Discussed the concept of a new business school building, moving Long School of Business and using Long for social sciences / humanities.

c. Top priority is to have technology center in place by September 2000. First floor of Smith Hall will be evaluated as a potential location by SFA.

d. McEwen will provide 6 new classrooms.

e. Reviewed preliminary planning priorities.

f. Reviewed presentation to trustees on October 13.

g. Discussed Elon Homes for Children. SFA to express opinion on land purchase and potential uses.

7. Meeting with Academic Affairs Council

a. Review of planning principles, impressions and progress to date.

b. General agreement that a high priority is improving existing academic space quality.

c. Broad support to create more informal gathering spaces inside and outside buildings.

d. Little support for future additions to existing South Campus buildings.

e. Is there the possibility of a commons area to support Library, Moseley & Koury?

f. Improve Jordan Center or replace, keep a variety of housing but expand apartment / townhouse style.

g. SFA indicated Health Services question needs study.

8. Meeting with Rob Springer, Director of Institutional Research

a. Support for town-gown interaction: activitie, entertainment, retail services, etc.

b. Create some faculty housing on campus.

c. Outdoor amphitheater.

d. Build another gym / fitness center.

e. Consider walking, jogging trails.

9. Meeting with Roselyn Reichard, Dean of Sciences and Math

a. Construct greenhouse adjacent to McMichael Science Center.

b. Ultimately, move the graduate program in Physical Therapy & Health, Physical Education and Leisure Sports Management (HPEL) out of McMichael to a new location. See Gerald Dillashaw. This will allow expansion of undergraduate science labs in McMichael.

c. Continue to develop interior, exterior spaces for social interaction.

10. Meeting with Bill Rich, Director of International & Special Programs

a. The Isabella Cannon Center for International Studies needs more space. Last year 514 students were out of the country.

b. Growth in foreign student advising is predicted. There are now 60 international students. Potential growth to 100 students.

c. Space requirements include director’s office, secretary and waiting, foreign student advisor, work study student space, resource area, storage, and visiting scholar space.

d. Offices are now in Alamance 109 and are crowded.

e. Ideal location is in a high student traffic area, preferably an academic building.

11. Meeting with Gerald Dillashaw, Dean of HPEL

a. Second and third floors of Mooney are being renovated for Department of Education and division offices for HPEL. Physical Therapy is in McMichael. The anatomy/cadaver lab serves both Biology and P.E.

b. There is a need for a gait anatomy lab (50' x 50').

c. Potential graduate level programs include cardiac rehabilitation.

d. This area requires further study for future growth.

12. Meeting with Joan Gunderson, Dean of Division of Social Sciences

a. The social sciences are located in Alamance and Powell. Psychology, sociology / anthropology and human services are in Alamance. History / geography and political science are in Powell.

b. The social sciences need 3 additional classrooms.

c. Psychology has grown rapidly from 180 to 220 in one year. Psychology future requirements: clustered lab complex with 5 small group observation rooms and 6 student /faculty group rooms. Faculty will number 10 next year and 12 in 10 years.

d. Powell has space for an Oral History Center. There is a need for a Policy Center which sponsors continuing education workshops, GIS workshops, community consulting. Need for kitchenette and 2 student work laboratories.

e. History / geography is largest department. Geography needs some wet space, maps and specimen storage and display.

13. Meeting with Russell Gill, Dean of Arts and Humanities

a. R. Gill supports linking Alamance, Carlton and Powell as a Center for the Liberal Arts.

b. The humanities are basically in Carlton. When the print shop moves, he suggests developing a language media center on the first floor with flat floor in the tiered lecture hall.

c. Convert history seminar room for 2 faculty offices? (Carlton 201)

d. Create a Carlton humanities commons area near the entrance.

e. SFA received detailed memorandum on suggestions for Carlton and Whitley.

14. Master Plan Committee Meeting

a. SFA reviewed progress to date.

b. There is a need for more 40 student flexible classrooms. One suggestion was to remove tiered seating in Carlton.

c. Pam Kiser suggested campus be made more bike-friendly.

d. Study commuter parking. More students living further away.

e. Safety at Haggard Avenue crossing was discussed. SFA would like to see different paving material in crossing area.

f. Music / theater needs storage space.

g. Art Department needs expansion space.

h. Philosophy needs non-traditional classrooms with lounge furniture.

i. Elon Children Homes property: better suited for venture-type facilities such as campus inn / conference center rather than for academic purposes.

j. SFA to obtain parking statistics by lot from Chuck Gantos / Scott Nelson.

k. SFA to meet with graduate students to assess their needs.

l. Holland House is not very accessible to alumni. Dean will meet with SFA during next visit.

m. Graduate admissions will require expansion space as programs grow.

15. Meeting with Susan Semonite and Susan Klopman on Admissions

a. Concern about use of Powell basement for admission.

b. 90% of admissions visitors go to Moseley Center and are not received in Powell (groups of 20 to 30). No real "reception" image for these visitors.

c. Need for more workspace.

16. Meeting with Jim Murphy, Technology Center

a. Facility requirements

(1) PC support

(2) help desk

(3) conference room

(4) computer laboratory (students)

(5) student work area

(6) faculty / student support area

(7) smart theatre / classrooms (large, regular size)

(8) preparatory area for faculty

(9) demo lab (check software / hardware)

(10) training lab for staff, students, faculty

17. Meeting with Kate Hickey, Library Director

a. The new library will soon outgrow collection space. Possible use of Winn-Dixie for remote storage or another location.

b. As academic computing expands, could the honors and general studies space be relocated?

c. The new library is state of the art.

18. Meeting with Ann Simpkins, Art Department Chair

a. When Communications relocates, space is available for expansion to create new office space.

b. Future needs:

(1) Music: practice rooms, offices, instrument storage for future marching band

(2) Growing dance program (east building not an ideal location)

(3) Costume preparation and storage, stage set production space

(4) Art: 5 disciplines now in 4 classrooms. Recently added digital art which will grow.

(5) Natural light and access to the outside are desirable for art.

19. Meeting with Peter Tulchinsky, Director of Recreation

a. Contacts: Tulchinsky, Scott Nelson, Assoc. Dean of Students

b. Primary needs: night lighting and irrigation of recreation fields and multipurpose gymnasium space.

c. Create jogging, skateboarding, exercise loop around Danieley Center

d. Firehouse playfields may be expendable (depending on land acquisition elsewhere)

e. A convocation center would free up Koury Gym for heavy recreation use.

f. Consider a sand volleyball court with shelter and outside grille.

g. There is a rope course at the lodge property. Space here for an outdoor amphitheatre? This would be a desirable amenity.

h. Consider an "Oak Walk" around a fitness trail.

i. Consider 50 meter, 8-lane pool addition to Koury.

A:\119605\WhittingtonO12.wpd