Administrative Officers and Staff
A.††† President of the University
The charter of the university provides that the president "shall be the chief officer of the corporation and the University, charged with the duty of administering the affairs of the corporation and the University under the authority, direction, and control of the Board of Trustees..." The Bylaws further specify that the presidentís responsibilities include the "maintenance of the educational work of the University..." serving as the official medium of communication between the Faculty and the Board of Trustees... preparation and presentation...of the budget of the University...," and executing official documents for the corporation.
B.††† Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs
The provost/vice president for academic affairs has a twofold purpose.
1. As provost, the responsibilities include the internal administrative operations of the university and the ability to act in the absence of the president. Providing leadership and direction for the long-range planning process, and annual priorities for action, and the budget, the provost/vice president for academic affairs is responsible for developing, maintaining, coordinating and integrating effective programs in:
a. Academic affairs
b. Admissions and financial planning
c. Student life
d. Intercollegiate athletics
e. Institutional research
f. Sponsored programs
g. Cultural affairs
The provost/vice president for academic affairs consults as appropriate with the office of development and also serves as assistant secretary and assistant treasurer of the Board of Trustees.
2. As vice president for academic affairs, the responsibilities include:
a. Providing intellectual and administrative leadership of the faculty and academic support staff
b. Overseeing the development of the academic program and the assessment of student academic performance
c. Recruiting, orienting, developing and evaluating the faculty
d. Developing and administering the curriculum
e. Supervising the academic support programs
f. Developing and recommending the academic budget, in consultation with deans, department chairs and program directors†
3.††††† The provost/vice president for academic affairs
reports to the president.
C.†††† Vice President for Business,† Finance and Technology
1.††††† The vice president for business, finance and technology is the senior business and financial officer, providing leadership in:
a. Development of business, strategy
b. Policies and procedures governing financial and personnel matters
c. Management of business and finance operations, auxiliaries and entrepreneurial ventures
d. Physical plant
e. Campus technology planning and implementation
2.††††† The vice president for business, finance
and technology reports to the president and, additionally, serves as treasurer
of the corporation.
D.††† Vice President for Institutional Advancement
1. The vice president for institutional advancement has the following responsibilities:
a. Organizing and implementing a successful outreach and development program
b. Creating partnerships with constituencies
c. Designing and implementing campaign strategies to realize the institution's long range plan
2.††††† The vice president for institutional advancement serves as the universityís chief development officer and reports to the president.
E.††† Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students
1.††††† The vice president for student life and dean of students coordinates services and programs which complement the academic curriculum and enhance out-of-class learning and personal development. Program areas include:
a. Campus recreation
b. Counseling services
c. Elon experiences program
d. Family weekend
e. Greek life
f. Health services
g. Judicial affairs
h. Leadership and citizenship
i. Minority affairs
j. Religious life
k. Residence life
l. Service learning
m. Student activities
n. Student media
o. Student government
2. The vice president for student life and dean of students provides leadership for:
a. Building positive student morale
b. Maintaining campus order
c. Managing student crises
vice president for student life and dean of students is the chief student life
officer and reports to the provost/vice president for academic affairs.
F.††††† Dean of Admissions and Financial Planning
1. The dean of admissions has responsibility for planning and implementing a successful program of admissions, recruitment, and financial assistance which will ensure a steady and adequate enrollment of qualified students, both new and returning. The dean of admissions serves as a liaison to all university constituencies, representing enrollment interest.
dean of admissions is the chief admissions officer and reports to the provost/vice
president for academic affairs.