- The households included in this study used approximately 146,000 gallons annually. Of this amount, 42 percent (61,300 gallons) were used indoors. The remaining 58 percent (84,700 gallons) was used outdoors.
- In households not utilizing water-efficient fixtures, toilets used the most water on a daily basis (20.1 gallons per person per day). Clothes washers were the second largest water users (15 gallons per person per day) and showers were third (13.3 gallons per person per day).
- In households that utilized water-efficient fixtures, Clothes washers assume the role of top water user (15 gallons per capita per day), followed by faucets (10.9 gallons per capita per day, showers(10 gallons per capita per day), and toilets (9.6 gallons per capita per day).
- Nearly 97% of the world’s water is salty or otherwise undrinkable. Another 2% is locked in ice caps and glaciers. That leaves just 1% for all of humanity’s needs all its agricultural, residential, manufacturing, community, and personal needs.
- Water is part of a deeply interconnected system. What we pour on the ground ends up in our water, and what we spew into the sky ends up in our water.
- The average total home water use for each person in the U.S. is about 50 gallons a day.
- The average cost for water supplied to a home in the U.S. is about $2.00 for 1,000 gallons, which equals about 5 gallons for a penny.
Source: Residential End Uses of Water (Denver, Colo: AWWARF, 1999). www.awwa.org/advocacy/learn/conserve/
Tips on how to Use Less Water around the Home
Conserving water is the right thing to do anytime of the year. Here are a few tips that can save you money on your water bill.
In the Kitchen
- Turn the water off. Minimize faucet use when washing dishes.
- Don’t pre-rinse dishes. Check to see if your dishwasher can clean dishes without pre-rinsing them. Most modern dishwashers do not require pre-rinsing.
- Wash only full loads of dishes in your dishwasher. You’ll not only save water, but energy as well.
- Reuse clean household. Collect all the water that is wasted while waiting for the hot water to reach your faucet. Use this to water your houseplants or outdoor planters. Do the same with water that is used to boil eggs or steam vegetables.
- Fix leaking faucets. Research has shown that an average of 8% (or more) of all home water use is wasted through leaks.
In the laundry room
- Wash only full loads of laundry. You’ll save water and energy!
- Consider purchasing a new clothes washer that is water-and energy-efficient. Rebates are available for qualified models. See clothes Washer Rebates, below.
In the bathroom
- Turn the water off. Minimize faucet use when shaving, brushing teeth and washing dishes. Replace older bathroom faucet nozzles (aerators) with new ones that are rated at 1 ½ gallons per minute, or less.
- Shorten our shower by 1 minute. Cut back on your shower time and you will gain big savings in water and energy. If you really want to try and save water, limit your shower time to 5 minutes or less. Also, install a water-saving showerhead that uses less than 2 ½ gallons per minute.
- Take showers instead of baths. A bathtub holds up to 50 gallons of water. A typical shower uses less than 20 gallons.
- Fix leaking faucets and toilets. Research has shown that an average of 8 percent (or more) of all home water use is wasted through leaks. Test for a l leaking toilet by lifting the lid off the toilet tank and putting a few drops of food coloring into the tank. Wait a few minutes and then look in the bowl. If the food coloring has made its way there, you have a leak.
- Reuse clean household water. Collect all the water that is wasted while waiting for the hot water to reach you faucet ofr showerhead. Use this to water your houseplants or outdoor planters.
- Consider replacing any older toilets in your home with new low-flow models that use 1.6 gallons per flush. Toilets 10 years old or older may be using 3 ½ to 7 gallons per flush.
Some Final Thoughts
- The next time you flush your toilet, think about how much water you use each time. On average, each of us uses well over 100 liters of water a day, just by flushing the toilet.
- Never flush garbage of any kind down the toilet. Household cleaners, paints solvents, pesticides and other chemicals can be very harmful to the environment.
- Take sailor showes; turn off the water while you are soaping and shampooing then rinse off quickly.
- Be a leak seeker. Check your toilet, faucets, and pluming regularly to make sure you stop leaks quickly
- REMEMBER, the WISE USE OF WATER will save you money and help improve the environment.
Back To Top