Reduce Energy and Save Money?

            Did you know that only 5% of the energy that goes into your average incandescent light bulb produces light? The other 95% of energy is given off as heat. Due to the inefficiency of incandescent light bulbs Elon University has initiated a program to replace all the older incandescent bulbs with new compact fluorescents, in hopes of reducing energy usages as well as cutting cost.

            Students should also be encouraged to use more efficient light bulbs. Not only can they help in reducing the amount of energy that Elon uses, but they can also save themselves a couple of dollars along the way. Here are a couple of reasons of why compact fluorescents are a better choice than incandescent.

  • On average, incandescent light bulbs last 1,000 hours, which is 6 months if used five hours a day.
  • On average, compact fluorescents last 10,000 hours, which is 5.5 years if used 5 hours a day.
  • New compact fluorescents produce a more pleasant color and do not flicker or hum.
  • 90 average sized power plants could be retired if everyone in America had efficient lighting.
  • 1.7 million tons of sulfur oxides, 232 million tons of carbon dioxide, and 194 tons of nuclear waste would also be saved if America used efficient lighting.
  • By using incandescent light bulbs you can save energy as well as money!!!!!!!

-Statistics were received from www.energyoutlet.com

Recycled Paper... Did you know…

  • In 2004, during a 30-week session, Belk goes through about 600 cases of non-recycled paper. This is approximately 660 pages per student a year or 22 pages per student a week.
  • That 30% recycled paper costs the same amount as non-recycled paper, however all computer labs except for in McMicheal Science Center use non-recycled paper.
  • There is no extra charge for an organization who request recycled paper.
  • Producing recycled paper takes less energy than to manufacture new, white paper from raw materials.

Information was gathered from:

http://www.elon.edu/e-web/pendulum/Issues/2004/9_9/features/recycled.xhtml

http://www.elon.edu/e-web/pendulum/Issues/2004/9_9/features/paper.xhtml

Back To Top

 

link to home page link to trans page link to water usage page lnk alt energy page