Assignment For Jan. 20th
We ask that you read each of the following articles prior to class:
Once you have done that, we'd like for you to write an answer to each of the following questions:
- Claudia Wallis "The Learning Revolution" pp.391-395
- Clifford Stoll "Computers in the Classroom: What's Wrong with This Picture?" pp. 396-406
- Kelly Zito "The Digital Difference" pp.407-414
- Monty Neill "Computers, Thinking, and Schools in the 'New World Economic Order'" pp.415-426
- As you skim-read each of the first three articles, we'd like for you to keep two running lists. In one column, jot down all of the advantages you see relating to computer-assisted education. In the second column, jot down all of the drawbacks that you see relating to computer-assisted education. Come to class prepared to discuss this topic.
- Neill's perspective is likely unfamiliar to most of you. Whenever this is the case, it is always best to seek to understand before you attempt to criticize. Thus, we'd like for you to write a brief summary of his views. In this summary, you are to do your best to defend and advance his point of view. You should write this summary in such a way that if Neill were to see it he would say, "Yes, that is a very good summary of what I intended to convey in my article!" We realize that his views will be controversial and there will be time in class for you to voice your opposition to his views (if you are so inclined). But, it is always best to deeply understand and appreciate someone else's views prior to criticizing or rejecting them.