Assignment For Jan. 19th
Readings assigned for today include:
- Ann Okerson "Who Owns Digital Works?" (from our text, pp. 343-349)
- Anne Branscomb "Who Owns Information?" (Handout)
- O.H. Gandy, Jr. "Information and Power" (Handout)
After you have read all of the above, please answer the following questions:
1) Answer Okerson's Question #3 on the digital copyright controversy.
2) The public's right to access information often conflicts with an individual's right to privacy. What conclusions does Branscomb reach regarding the conflict between these two values in cyberspace?
3) What does Gandy mean by a "Panoptic Sort"? How well do you think Gandy's metaphor represents our future?
Tonight the film "THE MATRIX" will be shown at 9 PM in the Moseley Gameroom.
It's a great example of how Virtual Reality and issues of digital communication and control are becoming themes in contemporary motion pictures. If you haven't seen it,
try to catch it. We'll be talking about it a bit on Friday.