Present: Bob Anderson, Barry Beedle, Anne Bolin, Steve Braye (Chair),
Brian Digre (recording) Gerry Francis, Julianne Maher (guest), Buck McGregor,
David Nawrocki, Fred Rubeck, Debbie Thurlow
I. The meeting was called to order at 1:30pm.
II. Issues for Discussion
reviewed the academic council packet for 1998-1999.
1. It was recommended that under Article VI, section 1 membership of
academic council division 4 be changed to Education and HPEL.
2. The following subcommittee assignments were agreed on:
a. Budget: Buck McGregor and David Nawrocki
b. Long-Range Planning Liaison: Brian Digre
c. Elections: Anne Bolin and Bob Anderson
d. Standing Committees Coordination: Brian Digre
e. Fall and Spring Reports: Fall - Bob Blake and Debbie Thurlow;
Spring - Fred Rubeck and Barry Beedle
f. Health Care: Anne Bolin, Bob Blake and Barry Beedle
3. Council reviewed the academic calendar, agreeing to continue meeting the third
Friday of every month.
a. Council and the administration agreed to meet on May 8, 1999 to review the
academic year and discuss institutional priorities.
B. Reports on Summer Items
1. Institutional Priorities for 1998-1999 and detailed supporting material had
been distributed to Council. Dr. Francis briefly described the process of
developing institutional priorities. This included a summer meeting with
available council members.
2. Developments in Presidential Search Committee, including Wednesday
lunch with faculty, described by Dr. Braye.
C. On-going Ad-Hoc Committees
Dr. Braye urged that all produce reports or complete their work this academic
year. The existing ad-hoc committees are:
1. Department Chairs - Braye (chair), Janie Brown, Haworth, Midgette,
2. Student Instrument (for Evaluation) - Nawrocki (chair), Basirico,
Thurlow, Drummond, Levesque, Burbridge
3. Faculty Evaluation - Braye (chair), Dillashaw, Bolin, King, Lilly
D. Additional committees with Council representation:
1. Anderson and Blake are serving on the Fifth-Year Review Committee.
Blake is the Academic Council liaison.
2. Rubeck agreed to serve as Academic Council's representative on the
Long Range Planning Committee subcommittee on academic affairs.
E. Academic Freedom Statement. Dr. Digre described the
current status of efforts
to revise the statement, including the existence of a second academic freedom
statement in the faculty bylaws (Article X, Section 1). Council decided to table
the existing resolution to revise the statement at the September faculty meeting
and create an ad-hoc subcommittee to seek further faculty input and develop
a new academic freedom statement. Members of the subcommittee are
Anderson, Bolin, Digre (chair), Francis, Haskell and Thurlow.
The meeting was adjourned at 2:30pm
Return to Academic Council Home Page